Multiple Sclerosis and Miracles

Miracles. The very word can conjure up a myriad of thoughts in Christian circles. For some, miracles are something that we read of in Scripture over and over and are left there. Other people have experienced them or know of someone close to them that have. Yet there remains a handful…okay a large handful of Christians that don’t believe in them or rather try to rationalize other explanations as to a healing that took place…allow me to explain. 

Time and time again throughout Scripture we read of miracles taking place. Some that come to mind right off the top include Lazarus, Jesus making the blind see, the issue of the woman bleeding, the crippled man at the gate beautiful and there seems to be one other….um…..wait for it….the resurrection of Jesus! That is just a short list of miracles. There are so many more throughout that we can read about. With this sort of thing being a regular occurrence throughout scripture, why do many Christians doubt today? I realize there will always be doubters. Fact is many can resonate with the father in Mark 9:24 who said “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” 

In March of 2015 my world was flipped upside down by a diagnosis I never thought I would receive. My neurologist told me that my MRI came back with irregularities. After finding five lesions, he diagnosed with me relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis. Once word got out about these findings, I was barraged with many people saying they will be praying for me. I recall one church service where many came up to lay hands on me as they prayed for my healing. Since that time I have been diagnosed with hemochromatosis which is an issue with iron. I also suffered (and survived) a brain hemorrhage in 2018. Through it all though I have learned to lean on God and the support of others.

As 2018 came to an end I had one last neurology appointment on December 31st. In that meeting we talked about many different things and towards the end my doctor said “you do not have multiple sclerosis”. I was taken back a bit…even shocked at the news. My wife and I looked at each other and needed some clarification. He gave it to us and I must admit that I was in some disbelief but so thankful as well. All I could think of was a miracle just took place. Perhaps my mom put in a good word face to face with God ha ha ha (hey…doesn’t hurt to have an imagination). What I was met with in the wake of that news is what I found to be perplexing. 

Over the years I have seen many miracles take place. From a friend coming back from the dead in front of my eyes in an ICU to someone we prayed for in South Africa over Skype. She was completely healed of cancer. There have been countless others as well that I don’t have room to list. In any case I found it interesting how many people asked me if the neurologist misdiagnosed me. This is his profession and the layout of the lesions in the MRI was the classic pattern for MS. Why is it when God does something profound, we back down from our faith and try to rationalize it in the natural? It’s as if we forget that this is part of what God does. With that many people praying for a healing, our faith should do a backflip when these things happen. It should build our faith. Many know Jesus as their Lord and Savior. I wonder how many know them as a miracle worker?

I know for me I have had a new spring in my step. Two weeks ago I was sledding with 20+ kids and I would challenge many to a race UP the hill. We ran so much while inside I was shouting hallelujah each time. I can picture my mom ecstatic as well with my news. For many though, they hear news like this and say “that’s nice” and move on. Me? I resonate with the words my mom would sing each time she experienced God’s hand in her life…she would sing “Look what the Lord has done!” 

We ought not be surprised when God does the miraculous in our lives. Celebrate and give God the praise. 

Comments

  1. wow I had no idea you were going thru all this PB. I'm glad God worked his miracles on you, to keep you on the track he has for you. Because its people like me that praise God everyday for the opportunity to just have known you and be a part of your journey. But let's speak on miracles. I am one of those miracles. When i was three years old I was in my room playing when I climbed up on my dresser to get a toy that was sitting on the top near a window. Dont know how it happend but the screen gave way and I fell two stories head first on concrete. If it wasn't for my neighbors son taking out the garbage who knows how long I would have had. I was in the hospital with my mouth claped shut that they couldn't get it open. So they had to put a feeding tube in cause I was in a coma for a month. They didn't know if I would make it, and if I did they didn't think I would have a normal life. But Gods miracle happened to me and I'm forever grateful to be living a normal life. I was truly blessed by God's miracle. When people doubt that God does miracles, I yell them my story and the first thing they say is "WOW that explaines alot" Ha Ha Id say. But you could tell that I changed there minds on The matter. God is great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts