Day 241: Inspired....GO FOR IT!

Have you ever had those times when you just wanted to do something but, you knew the limitations that others put on you would prevent you from being fully confident? I have...let me explain. Perhaps if you are a musician and are known for folk music…for you to launch into something by Aerosmith might be a stretch for you. However, if you have a real passion for one of their songs…you end up doing it and people are thoroughly impressed by it. If you are a pastor and are contemplating some message series or as I call it a “one off message” meaning it is not a part of a series but a one week message, sometimes you will find yourself at a crossroads with what you want to share. How could this be? If you are a part of a “traditional” church and want to share something a little more radical then you may be hindered in doing so. What will the board say? What will the ushers think? What will the big givers think? The same can be said of being in a “contemporary” church and you want to preach on the importance of hymns…you may feel like a duck out of water. Perhaps you are affiliated with a denomination in which the message you want to give may be quite edgy or “over the line” in some people’s opinions. What do you do with that? After all we are taught to spend time in prayer and if you are feeling inspired to talk about something…than talk about it.

I wrestle with that now and again to be honest with you but this week it just seems that I am finding out why this is so important. A couple of weeks ago at Radiant Fellowship I talked about “You Want Me to Love Who?” I won’t go into the whole purpose of it but ultimately it came down to the importance of loving everyone including the gay community. Now…before you fly off the handle and tell me “The Bible says this this and this about homosexuality” I would tell you not to get your undies in a bundle. We did not address that issue because I know what I believe and the person I was dialoging with knows what he believes. This was simply a message on the importance of loving people and letting the Holy Spirit do the work of change in people’s lives. This message has been re-posted more times than I have ever known any message of mine to be posted. I am hearing from people all the way in South Africa that are telling me “thank you for sharing this message….the church could do a better job at loving.” This is a humbling thing and a great reminder of what a great God we serve.

Last night was the night that really shook me however. Was I nervous to share a message like this? Absolutely! I did not know how it would be received, but it was received well. I got a facebook message from someone who said, “This is _________, ___________ partner ,wanted to thank you for sharing a little about yourself, and for your support for ____________, we both appreciate your message…it means a lot to us. Thank you and God Bless, _____________.” You see, this was a comment from a person whose partner is someone who was of great notoriety in the Christian music circle until this person came out of the closet. This is what I am talking about! What God has laid on your heart to talk about…TALK ABOUT IT! You never know how God will use your message. This is something that I am sure of….God is not contemporary…God is not traditional…God is God and he will do whatever he pleases if we are willing to be used.

Comments

  1. I agree. Some topics can be difficult, but if God moves us to say it, we should.

    Matthew 10:27 "What I tell you in the dark, say in the light, and what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops."

    I have often wondered where the love has gone. But as you said in another post, it needs to be the outpouring of Christ from within. We can't make people love others if it's not already flowing from within. So I say get focused on that inward identity so he CAN flow again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts