The Halloween Series (said in Vincent Price voice)


It has been awhile since my last blog…pretty much the only reason is that I have had nothing to say. However, there are a few things that I am excited to talk about now. The first would be the, October series we announced last Sunday at Radiant Fellowship. You see many churches and Christians will do everything under the sun at Halloween and label it as “harvest party” or “candy carnival” or "Harvest Carnival" or other things. We have decided to just call it what it is…a Halloween series. Our outreach during trick or treating will simply be called a Halloween party (complete with bon-fire...have you looked up the origin of bon-fires? Perhaps we should call them "Harvest fires"?).

I recall serving in a church where if you even printed on orange paper during the month of October it would be frowned upon. This was simply silly. There are all kinds of arguments one could make that if you do a Halloween party than you are worshiping the devil. Let me share with you a note from a lady at our church in her 50’s that I got the other day after we unveiled the series.

“I really like your take on Halloween. For years we did Halloween Barns for the church we went to. One of my Baptist friends asked why I was worshiping the devil. I just said they must know more about devil worship then me, cause I was giving the kids a safe place to dress up in costumes to play while getting food for the food pantry, and just what does devil worship look like? So we are looking forward to your Oct series.”

This gives me great hope as we will be reaching many people with this series that the church may tend to run and hide from. Each week is the title of a classic rock song and I will be sharing a message that parallels it doused with scripture (I threw that last bit in there for those who like mention me in their church messages). The worship team will be playing each song before I speak…it is going to be a great time of deep study and the avid music lover will really dig it.

Week 1: California Dreaming….Topic: Letting go of the past.

Week 2: Shooting Star…Topic: Dealing with casualties of life.

Week 3: Enter Sandman…Guest speaker Mike Barden

Week 4: Sound of Silence…Hearing God when it is quiet

Week 5: Welcome to My Nightmare (title of the series): ….Guest Speaker Pastor Bob Beeman.

Comments

  1. LOVE that lady's comment. Some of the most fun times of my life were at church Halloween parties. Ah, I could tell you stories...some things I wouldn't do now, just because it actually did seem to give glory to the devil...but most of it was just a bit scary and a whole lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts