I Got 99 Problems But the Chick Ain't One!

A few from the Facebook page “That’s Not My God” have asked me for my thoughts regarding the whole “Chick-Fil-A” debate. I was hesitant to do such a blog because this can be a very touchy issue. What made me decide to do this blog however was the way people lump the Christian community together as a whole. This is a naive and ignorant approach. Personally I think both sides fighting over this issue is not very flattering. I am reminded of Proverbs 20:3(NIV) "It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel." Lord knows I have looked like the "fool" plenty of times. On that note I have two opinions on the matter and with the prodding of quite a few people here they are.

1. One of the things I so enjoy hearing around election time is “Democracy is alive and well.” This comment usually circulates because the candidates (in this case the presidential ones) have very strong opinions about what they believe. Another interesting stance we see over and over, be it at our nations capital or in our own cities, is the right to exercise free speech. One of my favorite places to submit writings to is “EXpressions Journal.” This is a liberal underground newspaper that has come to welcome my writings. They post them and, in fact, are on file in the national archives. Out of all the articles I have submitted to them, only one person wrote me a nasty email. Guess what? It was from a fellow Christian. What makes us such a great nation is the right to have an opinion. What makes us unique is to have our own stance on what we believe in. If “Chick-Fil-A” wants to take a stance on a topic then I say go for it...this is the America we live in. Will it always be a popular stance? No. I would have to say from a business stand point it is a poor choice. However, if a person has strong personal/Christian convictions about something then I say go with it. Personally I do not see many restaurants, stores, etc. waving a rainbow flag on their building catching much flack from the rest of the community. Perhaps they do from some Christians but again...not the group I would want to be lumped in with. I would only ask this to the owner of Chick-Fil-A, Dan Cathy...who designed the clothes you are wearing?

2. I want to ask the question, how long will the church keep bashing the gay community? However, I quickly realize that would be pointless. Let’s be honest...it will never end. It would be great to say that Christians could/should love everyone with no agenda but once again...I would be living in a dream world. If in fact a person was to take the stance of the gay lifestyle being a sin issue...it would still not be right for a Christian to call that person out. We simply do not have that right as Jesus talks very plainly about taking the plank out of our own eye before removing the speck from someone else. Personally I do not think this should even be an issue. As Christians we are called to love people. If we are called to love people then why is there so much hate? Perhaps this is the age old question. I find it funny how many overweight people call the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans-Gender) community sinners. It is also interesting how many in the gay community teach/preach tolerance and yet can be some of the most intolerant people I know as it pertains to Christianity. Once again...NOT ALL CHRISTIANS OUGHT TO BE LUMPED IN TOGETHER (and I am positive the same can be said about the LGBT community). I find it much easier to take the stance that we are both flawed people. Neither one of us have a right to call each other out on anything, therefore, it is simply easier to love each other rather than try to prove who is right and who is wrong. I shared my viewpoint on this issue at Lifest a few weeks ago. I simply believe that IF anyone has something that needs to change...it will not happen by me or someone else forcing them. We simply must let the Holy Spirit do what we cannot.

At the end of the day perhaps the bigger issue at hand is how fast food is bad for a person. Maybe the topic ought to be how the chickens farmed out to Chick-Fil-A could be potentially mis-treated. There really could be an ongoing list. All that I know is that we have become a very politically correct society which is tearing apart our great nation of free speech and democracy. I honestly cannot understand why someone would want an apology from a business owner if they take a hard stance on a certain subject. This is the luxury you get being the president of a business. I am not saying his stance is the correct one but nonetheless this is a privilege he gets to have. It could help his business but it could also hurt his business. In the words of the great philosopher, Bobby Brown...”It’s my prerogative.”


In the words of Jay-Z (kind of)...I got 99 problems but the Chick ain't one. So...off to being more productive and move pas this petty debate. 

Comments

  1. "who designed the clothes you are wearing?"

    Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT job on this, Bob!!

    :) PB 1.0

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts