Well Go On Smarty And Do It!

 

This just in, when Sheryl Crow sang “If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad. If it makes you happy then why the hell are you so sad?” It ends up she was wrong. 


That song was written in 1996 which means it came out 7 years before MySpace and get this, 16 years before Facebook went public. Isn’t it funny how social media platforms can get us so rev’d up? It’s like watching my grandpa reading the evening newspaper only to see him stew in his chair while reading certain headlines. It happened every Thanksgiving and Christmas. 


There is a lot of talk on Facebook about people packing it up and leaving the social media platform behind. What I am finding out though is that very few are actually doing it. It does seem kind of trendy to start a MeWe account. If you are a hip young millennial then you already have an Instagram account. What intrigues me though are the ones that start a Parler account and are told by a certain political leaning demographic that you are wrong. Honestly, this is a big reason why I left Facebook. How can you tell someone your opinion is wrong? I don’t have the answer to that but apparently you can experience this in Facebook land. 


Here’s the deal…Facebook made me happy and it was bad. I was letting it eat away at me. I used to be a rebel on it and posted things which made people laugh and cringe. Many would friend me and many would unfriend me. I was a bull in a china shop. Over the past few years I toned down and realized I am tired of that. Call it age but I call it my own sanity.

So, for those of you fed up with politics, arguing and more that have threatened to start a MeWe or Instagram or Parler account….in the words of Flick from a Christmas Story while challenging Schwartz to stick his tongue to the light pole “Well go on smarty and do it!” Quit complaining about all of the problems with Facebook and leave.

Comments

Popular Posts