When Worship Music Becomes Constant Noise
I’ve noticed something over the years that I find interesting—and maybe even a little concerning.
Some Christians who seem to have worship music playing almost constantly are also some of the people who struggle the most with worry, discouragement, anxiety, and simply feeling down.
Now, before anyone misunderstands me, I love worship music. There is something powerful about music that turns our attention toward God. A song can remind us of truth when our emotions are telling us something completely different. Worship can change the atmosphere of a room and, more importantly, redirect the atmosphere of our hearts.
Scripture certainly celebrates music.
“Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth.” Psalm 96:1
So this isn't an argument against worship music.
But I do wonder whether anything even something good can become unhealthy when we depend on it constantly to regulate how we feel.
What Happens When the Music Stops?
Think about what happens when you put on your favorite worship song.
The music builds. The lyrics speak to you. Maybe you get goosebumps. Your emotions lift. Your mind becomes focused. For a few minutes, everything feels okay.
Then the song ends.
The earbuds come out.
You turn off the car.
You walk back into the house.
And suddenly you're back in ordinary life.
The bills are still there. The difficult relationship is still difficult. Tomorrow's problem hasn't disappeared. The uncertainty about the future is still waiting for you.
Music has a very real effect on our emotions and nervous system. It can energize us, calm us, stir memories, and shift our mood. That's not bad because God created us with the ability to experience music that way.
But if we constantly use music to create an emotional environment, we can begin depending on that environment rather than learning how to navigate our emotions when the soundtrack disappears.
It's almost like living inside an emotional bubble.
And when the bubble pops, there can be a slump.
Perhaps the question isn't simply, “What kind of music am I listening to?”
Maybe we also need to ask: “Why do I need something playing all the time?”
Sometimes You Need Music That Gets You Moving
There's also nothing wrong with listening to music that isn't specifically worship music.
Sometimes you need something upbeat.
Something that makes you smile.
Something that makes you want to clean the garage, go for a walk, exercise, drive with the windows down, or just enjoy being alive.
Ecclesiastes reminds us that life has different seasons: “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens.” Ecclesiastes 3:1
Not every moment needs to feel like the closing song of a worship service.
There is a time for deep worship.
There is a time for reflection.
There is a time for celebration.
There is a time to laugh.
And sometimes there is a time to crank up a song that simply puts some energy into your step!
God isn't absent from those moments. Joy is spiritual too.
Paul wrote: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” Philippians 4:4
Christianity isn't supposed to produce people who permanently walk around under an emotional rain cloud.
And Maybe Sometimes We Need Silence
This may be the bigger issue.
We live in an incredibly noisy world.
Music in the car.
Podcasts while we're working.
Television playing in the background.
YouTube while we're eating.
Music while we're exercising.
Earbuds while we're shopping.
Notifications buzzing in our pockets.
And for Christians, sometimes we simply replace all that noise with Christian noise.
But Christian noise is still noise.
There comes a point when we have to turn everything off.
No worship playlist.
No sermon.
No Christian podcast.
No television.
No phone.
Just silence.
Because maybe we've become so accustomed to filling every quiet space that we've forgotten how to be still before God.
Psalm 46:10 doesn't say, “Put on another worship song and know that I am God.”
It says: “Be still, and know that I am God.”
That's uncomfortable for some of us.
Because when everything gets quiet, our thoughts get louder.
The worries we've been avoiding surface.
The questions we've buried come back.
The emotions we've been covering with constant stimulation finally have room to breathe.
But maybe that's exactly where God wants to meet us.
Worship Music Should Point Us to God, Not Become a Substitute for Being With Him
There is a subtle difference between experiencing the emotional effects of worship music and experiencing the presence of God.
They certainly can happen together.
But they aren't necessarily the same thing.
If I can only feel close to God when the lights are dim, the music is playing, and the right song is building toward the chorus, I may need to ask myself whether I've learned to recognize God's presence in ordinary life.
Can I experience God washing dishes?
Can I recognize Him while driving without the radio playing?
Can I sit quietly in a chair and simply pray?
Can I walk through the woods without headphones and notice creation?
Can I sit with Scripture without needing instrumental worship music playing underneath it?
Can I simply be with God?
Elijah experienced something interesting in 1 Kings 19. There was a powerful wind. Then an earthquake. Then a fire.
But God wasn't in those dramatic experiences.
Then came a gentle whisper.
Sometimes we keep turning up the volume while God is inviting us to turn it down.
Change the Soundtrack Once in a While
So listen to worship music.
Sing loudly.
Raise your hands.
Put that favorite worship playlist on during your drive.
Let those songs remind you of God's goodness.
But don't be afraid to change the soundtrack.
Listen to something fun.
Listen to something energetic.
Listen to something that makes you laugh and puts a little life back into your step.
And sometimes...listen to absolutely nothing.
Drive with the radio off.
Take the earbuds out.
Put the phone down.
Sit on the porch.
Take a walk.
Let your mind settle.
Pray.
Think.
Listen.
Because spiritual health isn't demonstrated by how many hours of worship music we consume. It's demonstrated by whether we're becoming people who increasingly trust God when the music isn't playing.
Worship music can remind me that God is with me.
But eventually I have to hit STOP and discover that He's still there.



Comments
Post a Comment