Day 189: The Proverbial Turd Meets Fan

Here is something that has been on my mind for quite awhile. I have tried to not say anything but now it is time to tee it up. The question I have is one I am sure many a pastor have asked. Why do some people stop attending church when all is well in their life but when the proverbial turd hits the fan in life, they are saying "I need to get back to church again"?

I recall one businessman in town who began to attend Radiant Fellowship because his family was falling apart and his job was on the brink of shutting down. He really began to rediscover who God was in his life and experiencing the love of God almost immediately. It was a supernatural turnaround for him as his job EXPLODED with work and soon after his relationship with his wife was mended. You can guess where this is going can't you? A couple weeks after things turned around for him he bailed on church. Now I know "we don't have to attend a church to receive from God" but you know...I think being in a community of believers really gave him the gas he needed to make it from week to week. To know friends were behind him and praying for him meant a lot to him. WHY WOULD YOU BAIL ON THAT?

Now, let me make this crystal clear. PEOPLE NOTICE THIS! PASTORS NOTICE THIS and to be completely honest, when people do this kind of thing they take notice. I know there are people who when I see after awhile I just assume something is happening in their life and now need support. People in church talk as well when someone is gone long enough and back again...they see a trend. This is only natural.

Why not stay immersed in a community and make church a lifestyle decision...not a weekly decision. I know it is a good thing for me and many others knowing they have a LARGE group of people ready to help and encourage when times get tough. It really is a great place to be...in a community of people you enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts