Getting a Grip on Multiple Sclerosis

So another year is more than halfway gone and I am beginning to finally get a grip on this thing called “Multiple Sclerosis.” It is a disease that takes up much of my brain space, figuratively speaking. Since there are various forms of the disease it can make people a bit uncomfortable. No doubt, a person of faith will always have those around them who will say, “Just trust God” or the classic, “God won’t give you more than you can handle.” Yes…yes he will and though I could reinvent the wheel, I will share this link with you regarding that thought: Click here

With that said, this disease does cause me to worry and it is hard not to let my mind wander at times. Thankfully, I have some answers regarding my diagnosis. After one of my least favorite lab tests (spinal tap) and seeing the results, I have the most common form of Multiple Sclerosis which is “Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis” (RRMS) According to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, the definition of RRMS is that it is “The most common disease course – [and] is characterized by clearly defined attacks of new or increasing neurologic symptoms. These attacks – also called relapses or exacerbations – are followed by periods of partial or complete recovery (remissions). During remissions, all symptoms may disappear, or some symptoms may continue and become permanent. However, there is no apparent progression of the disease during the periods of remission. At different points in time, RRMS can be further characterized as either active (with relapses and/or evidence of new MRI activity) or not active, as well as worsening (a confirmed increase in disability over a specified period of time following a relapse) or not worsening.”


So, there’s the update. On August 9th I go in for one more dye-injected MRI to see if any new lesions have formed. Of course I am staying positive and full of hope and faith but there comes a peace with knowing what you are dealing with so you know how to proceed. As always I appreciate your prayers. 

Comments

Popular Posts