In But Not A Part Of (Denominationalism)

 

What is the purpose of this blog? Perhaps for me, it is a way to vent frustration, and perhaps for other pastors in similar situations, it is a way to open the door for dialogue. I find myself in a unique situation, having a church located in the same city as our Assembly of God (A/G) district headquarters. Additionally, it is home to Spencer Lake Christian Center and an area where many retired pastors end up. However, there is also another well-established A/G church that has been around as long as the A/G district headquarters.


I want to clarify that I don't have any gripes with the established A/G church in town that has been around for decades longer than Radiant Fellowship. Nonetheless, I have noticed an interesting trend during my 20 years of living here - retired pastors gravitate towards the established church where they attend and many volunteer their time since they have more free time on their hands.


It's hard not to become somewhat jaded about the area and the A/G when you constantly feel like an outsider. Sure, if they need photography done or other tasks, they come calling; however, it never seems like they genuinely want to just hang out. It has been strongly suggested and emphasized by all pastors that our head honcho is our pastor; yet pastoral care seems lacking. Undoubtedly there are many pastors and churches to look after but when conversations only happen regarding credential renewal or other business matters... one can't help but feel somewhat put off.


I wasn't involved in North Central University - the A/G university my district strongly endorses. Instead, I attended a smaller college course in Milwaukee through the A/G which allowed me to stay home while working towards my credentialing. While it holds equal value in terms of credentials from their perspective committee-wise; I discovered years ago that if you are not part of the good ol' boys club associated with larger universities, you are viewed quite differently. You will never be part of the inner circle.


All of this leads me to say the following: Do I love the A/G? Absolutely. Am I let down, though? Absolutely. There was a time, as I believe is true for many youth pastors and others, that if they move to the city where their district office is located, it will be something truly special and they will feel like part of the team. However, that notion is nothing but a fallacy. I still feel like the lone ranger. Perhaps once a year, I receive an email saying 'we prayed for you,' but where does a pastor go when they need pastoral care? I can tell you it won't happen within these circles; therefore, pastors who fly under the radar and are not viewed as part of the crowd must take care of themselves. Where else is there to turn other than to the Lord?


For all you pastors out there who feel like lone rangers, find your strength in the Lord and get used to it. I am not saying this from someone who has only been in this situation for a year or two; it has been over two decades and I am still going strong. There have been no calls from other pastors' wives asking if my wife would like to grab lunch together - it has been a desolate place at times - but our church congregation has been great support for us. We find more sustenance there than we will ever see from leadership.


Keep on keeping on and take care of yourselves.

Comments

Popular Posts