The Little Church That Could

 

The little church that could. That sums up my sentiments about Radiant Fellowship. A church launched in the early part of 2003 that had to be restarted in 2005 due to a horrendous political storm. When I mention political, I am not referring to a particular party like Republican or Democrat. Rather, I am alluding to a challenging time marked by poor decisions that unfolded as I came on board as a youth pastor. Let's skip the intricate details.


My induction as the pastor of this church in August 2005 was quite unconventional. An elder from our denomination arrived late, introduced me as the new pastor, and swiftly departed through the back door, leaving my wife and me to celebrate with a dinner outing and a submitted reimbursement receipt. With just 8 people and a mortgage, it wasn't the most glamorous restart for a church, but we embraced the challenge.


Over the years, we've seen individuals come and go. This former youth pastor of 9 years was suddenly thrust into the position of lead pastor without having attended a single church board meeting until my relocation to Waupaca. My brief meeting with the board in Milwaukee was mainly focused on criticisms about the size of the youth group and college ministry which rivaled the size of the congregation, with exaggerated rumors suggesting I was starting my own church. This notion was far from my intentions as I had always envisioned myself solely in youth ministry.


In my 19-year journey as lead pastor, I've made both good decisions and poor ones, all of which I take full ownership of. With no formal training, coaching, or mentorship in what it means to be a lead pastor, I navigated the challenges to the best of my abilities. Unfortunately, when mistakes were made, there was a lack of grace, perhaps due to the perception that churches are abundant nowadays, making it easier for some to move on rather than invest time in nurturing a community.


Today, we may not be a mega church, but we are a close-knit congregation of around 40-50 individuals on a good Sunday. These individuals understand our vision and contribute to creating a welcoming church environment. We regularly meet our weekly budget, which hovers around $925. In a smaller church setting like ours, every donation is significant, especially as we strive to be debt-free by paying off our $900 monthly mortgage, which is our only lingering debt. After we pay off our remaining mortgage of $20,000.00 we will be entirely debt free.


Smaller churches, as I was once told, offer what larger churches cannot. Inspired by Acts 2:42, we recently introduced weekly potlucks to enhance fellowship and community spirit. Apart from these core values, we actively engage in outreach efforts within the community through various initiatives such as concerts and more.


I take immense pride in the diverse ministries we offer, encompassing men’s, women’s, and adult Bible study groups, as well as engaging kids' programming. Our ministry focus, financial stability, and commitment to avoiding debt epitomize a healthy church, irrespective of its size.


As the sole paid staff at Radiant Fellowship, I must candidly admit that while my salary was considered full-time, the present reality is that I could earn more at Kwik Trip. However, a pastor's drive isn't primarily financial. I am truly grateful for our exceptional group of volunteers who wholeheartedly contribute to the success of our ministry, from group leaders to worship team members, cleanup crews after potlucks, greeters, ushers, and many more. I couldn't ask for a more dedicated team. I feel truly blessed.


If you're searching for a church that embodies a welcoming atmosphere, emphasizes outreach, encourages active participation in ministry, holds weekly potluck gatherings, and values genuine fellowship, then Radiant Fellowship is the place for you. I extend an invitation to you to join us at Radiant Fellowship. It's a wonderfully imperfect, homey church where I believe God's smile shines brightly.


Suffice to say, none of this could or can be done without God. He has directed and guided our steps. Without him, we could do nothing and we would be nothing. God is the head of the church. 

Comments

Popular Posts