Day 144: Bible Study RANT

Tonight was the last evening of our “typical” Wednesday night bible study. We have decided through the fall and winter seasons to have two choices regarding home groups. The first is called, “Pastor Bob’s Book Club” which will be every Tuesday night at my home. The other choice is at our worship leader’s home on Wednesday nights at 7:00 p.m.

The hope with these electives is that more people would come out and enjoy the great times of prayer, fellowship, and learning. You cannot beat hanging out with people in the middle of the week.

Now I am going to tee it up. My hope in making two different studies available is that those who say “I wish we had more bible studies” would actually attend one of these home groups. It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of people who think they will start their own group, try and promote it in a church only to find out it will miserably fail. Why go through all the trouble in re-inventing the wheel when a great church has some in place. Yes, I hear the complaints that it falls on a bad night or a bad time. Let me tee this one up as well. I have a business friend that is older than me and has a phrase, “you make time for what you really want to do.” To this I could not agree more. Call me old fashioned but what happened to the days where parents would let their kids be in extracurricular activities but if it got in the way of Sunday morning church or youth/kids group night….you were not going to be a part of it. This kind of thinking made me solid in who I am today. I am quite confident that my parents would have rather done something else instead of the midweek service. They worked two jobs and I am sure quite beat at the end of the day….but they made sure my brother and I were there.

Midweek studies will enhance a person’s life by making their roots in the scriptures deep and strong. It will take a person past the shallow messages so many hear and go deep into things they may have never thought about before. I cannot say enough good things about midweek studies so, I will just end here.

Comments

  1. When I used to attend a church it was a lot of fun to meet, eat and hang out with folks but the bible study / prayer was a bit of a downer. All of a sudden the whole group dynamic would change as people became more spiritual. Of course once the "serious" stuff had finished folks seemed to emerge back to being normal.

    These days I would much rather attend a regular book club and enjoy spontaneous discussion about an interesting novel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts