Day 39 of 365: A Forrest...Forrest Gump Life

 

I am only 46 years old (47 on April 29th) and am always so thankful for all the people that God has placed in my path. The opportunities he has afforded me since I began working at the age of 16. I began working at a toy store in Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa, WI. The store was called Circus World later to be purchased by Kay-Bee. I was brought on to be the video game guru. The hot system of the day was the Sega Genesis. 


During my breaks I would meander down to Family Christian Bookstore to rifle through the latest and greatest in Christian rock/metal. My common question for the store manager was if Ken Tamplin or Shout had anything new out. It was just a matter of time until I was asked if I would like a job there to help with the music sales. At 18 years old I took the job. This lead me to be wooed to two other Christian bookstores in Milwaukee to assist in their music department. The stores were ProBuColl’s and Something More. 


Those years as a music buyer I got to meet many Christian artists. I was also afforded the opportunity to attend many concerts, etc. with a press pass which means I got to rub shoulders with many artists. I would regularly get calls from Steven Curtis Chapman, Toby Mac and more to make sure we received the latest promotional materials for their albums. Those were really good days. 


To this day I feel like I have lived a bit of a Forrest Gump life. With all of the meet and greets, I can honestly say I enjoyed those days. There were even a few times when I would lead the devotional or sing at the chapel service for Nascar drivers before the big race at the Milwaukee Mile. 


I now remember my roots and lean on them once in awhile like this coming Sunday. Our worship leader is taking a couple of weeks off. This lead me to sending a message to a musician I really enjoy. Glenn Kaiser was/is the lead singer of the Resurrection Band. Pioneers of Christian rock. Not only have I had the pleasure of hosting Glenn on several occasions but during rona season, he has offered to record a worship set for the church I pastor. 


Moments like those always remind me of how grateful I am for the path I have gone through in life. God has quite the way of orchestrating our lives. 

Comments

Popular Posts